For many people, varicose veins and spider veins are quite common. Mild variations of varicose veins are simply a cosmetic concern that requires a varicose vein treatment in Chennai because it can cause pain and discomfort.
Sometimes leaving it untreated may lead to more serious problems. There are various treatments that involve self-care measures or procedures to overcome the issue.
Varicose Veins Vs Spider Veins
Varicose veins are usually twisted enlarged veins. Any vein that is close to the skin’s surface can also become varicose. These varicose veins affect the veins in the legs most commonly. That’s because walking and standing increase the pressure in the veins of the lower body.
Spider veins are similar to varicose veins, but they are comparatively smaller. Spider veins are often red or blue and are found closer to the skin’s surface. They may occur on the legs but can also be found on the face. There is variation in size but resembles a spider’s web.
Varicose veins usually don’t cause much pain. Signs of varicose veins include:
- Veins are dark purple or blue.
- Veins appear bulging and twisted, often appearing like cords on the legs.
When painful signs and symptoms of varicose veins occur, getting a varicose vein treatment in Chennai is recommended else they can lead to,
- A heavy ache in the legs.
- Throbbing, burning sensation, swelling, or muscle cramping in the lower legs.
- Severe pain after standing or sitting for long hours.
- Itching around one/more of the veins.
- Change in the skin color around a varicose vein.
Whenever you come across the above-mentioned symptoms, you should not hesitate to visit the varicose veins doctor in Chennai to get a comprehensive treatment.
Damaged or weak valves can cause varicose veins. Arteries usually carry blood from the heart to the rest of the body whereas veins return blood from the rest of the body to the heart. To aid in returning blood to the heart, the veins in the legs should work against gravity.
Muscle contractions in the lower legs will act as pumps and elastic vein walls aid blood return to the heart. Tiny valves in the veins will open as blood flows toward the heart, then it closes to stop blood from flowing backward. If these valves are damaged or weak, blood can flow backward and pool in the veins which can cause the veins to stretch or twist.
There are also various other reasons that may require you to get the best varicose vein treatment in Chennai. They include:
- Aging process.
- Excess weight or obesity.
- Family history.
- Restrictive clothing.
- Standing or sitting for long periods.
Treatment for varicose veins usually includes self-care measures, compression stockings, and surgeries or procedures. Varicose vein treatment in Chennai is often done as an outpatient procedure, which means you can go home on the same day.
- Self-Care – Includes exercise, raising the legs while lying or sitting, and wearing compression stockings can help ease the pain of varicose veins and may prevent them from getting worse.
- Compression Stockings – You can approach the varicose veins doctor and ask for suggestions regarding compression stockings because it is often the first approach to try. These stockings squeeze your legs and help the veins and leg muscles move blood more efficiently.
Surgeries or Other Procedures
If self-care steps and compression stockings fail to work, or varicose veins are more severe, the varicose veins specialist in Chennai might recommend surgery or other procedures that include:
- Sclerotherapy. The doctor injects the varicose veins with a foam or solution that scars and closes those veins. In a few weeks, treated varicose veins will fade and the same vein might need to be injected more than once during the varicose vein treatment in Chennai. This procedure doesn’t require anesthesia.
- Laser Treatment. Laser treatment helps to send strong bursts of light onto the vein, making the vein slowly fade and disappear. No needles or cuts are used.
- Catheter-Based Procedures Using Laser Energy or Radiofrequency. This is the most preferred treatment for larger varicose veins. Here a catheter is inserted into an enlarged vein and the tip of the catheter is heated using either laser energy or radiofrequency. As the catheter is removed, the heat will destroy the vein by causing it to collapse.
- High Ligation and Vein Stripping. This involves tying off a vein before it joins a deep vein and removing the vein through small cuts. Removing the vein will not keep blood from flowing in the leg because veins that are deeper in the leg take care of the larger volumes of blood.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy. The smaller varicose veins will be removed through a series of tiny skin punctures. Only the parts of the leg that are being pricked are numbed in this outpatient varicose vein treatment in Chennai. Scarring is minimal.
The varicose veins doctor in Chennai will suggest certain measures when you approach them to help you prevent and treat varicose veins.
- Avoid standing for long periods.
- Elevate your legs.
- Maintain a proper weight.
- Stay active.
- Quit smoking or tobacco usage.
- Try compression stockings.
- Wear clothes that suit properly.
Do not panic when you have to deal with varicose veins. Many people have them and they don’t experience more complications from this issue. However, if varicose veins bother you, you can approach Dr. Charanya, the best varicose veins specialist in Chennai from Soul Skin Clinic to help you get the best treatment.